Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Overcoming Obstacles

cerebral palsy
noun
  1. 1.
    a condition marked by impaired muscle coordination (spastic paralysis) and/or other disabilities, typically caused by damage to the brain before or at birth.


I found out I had a mild case of cerebral palsy when I was 10. I cried. I didn't know what it was, but up until that point I thought I was fat, and that is why I couldn't run as fast as the other kids. I wailed at my mom and dad, for not telling me until that point, but I understand their reasoning now: they didn't want me to use it as a crutch.

I've been living with it up until now, and these past 6 years have been no cake walk. I have quickly realized all of the disabilities that I have, and desperately try not to use them as a crutch. To always be two steps, literally and figuratively behind everyone can prove to be grinding. To be honest, I haven't overcome this problem, and I don't think I ever can or will. But I have learned to take pride in trying. Me trying is me succeeding. Success has taken on a different meaning for me (pro in athletics, con in academics), and that has allowed not only me esteem to take part in events, but my esteem after the fact as well.

This is a life battle, and I'm in it for the long run.

- K

No comments:

Post a Comment