In my Grade 12 English class we are reading The Book of Negros, due to the nature of the word, the title and therefore the book has been under judgement. The questions we have been faced with is "Is the title appropriate".
Well.
The actual Book of Negros was a ledger for the British soldiers who were boarding the ship, so the whole point of the book is the protagonist trying to sign the ledger. So therefore the title The Book of Negros is not completely out of regards as the Book of Negros is what she is trying to sign.
So, yes, I think we indeed should allow the title, others would disagree. My two cents.
-K
I think you've got a strong argument. I think people will jump to conclusions before even doing the very little research involved. In history courses, we've used slang words that may not have been accepted now, however, it was history and it happened so I guess it is like a veto.
ReplyDelete